Thursday, May 27, 2010

Challenges

As a pastor, I feel like I am constantly facing challenges. There are new people to try to assimilate into the fellowship. Finances are always an issue, and we have to look for ways to encourage people to give. The needs of the community are always pressing in, which is great for ministry opportunity, but it causes me to evaluate each opportunity to decide if it is a "good" thing or the "right" thing in which to engage. Of course, each day is filled with the "regular ministry stuff," and if you don't mind my saying so, some of it is less thrilling than the rest!

I find encouragement in the words of Scripture. I'm reminded that the Jordan River was at flood stage when Joshua was leading the Israelites into the Promised Land. I made a note in my bible the other day - "High tide demands high trust." I am reminded almost daily that the success of this church does not depend upon me, but upon my faithfulness to trust the One who builds the church. After all, Jesus said He would build His church, and the gates of Hades would not prevail against it. A prevailing church is filled with challenges, but it is His church, and during the high tide times I need to increase my trust.

Got challenges?

1 comment:

  1. Every day is a new challenge. God has given me strength to meet my challenges. When I think that I can do no more, I hold onto the promises in God's Word and I move forward again. This week has been physically, and emotionally challenging. God has blessed. He teaches me new things all the time. He shows me that I can take that next step if I only trust in Him. It is not easy, but in the end, it will all be worth it.

    ReplyDelete