Over the years I've figured out that there are some questions I need to ask myself in narrowing the field of my involvements in order to eliminate the overloads. Here are some things I've asked myself. Perhaps they will help you. If you have any to add, please do so! We can learn from each other!
- Does the request fit within my life mission? In other words, will it help me accomplish my calling or will it distract me from where my vision should be focused?
- Will it take time away from my loved ones that will do damage to our relationships?
- Why am I saying "Yes?" Is it to impress someone? Does it fill some sort of sense of need of approval? Or is it because it is the right thing to do?
- Is the investment of my time in this going to broaden the Kingdom of God, my life in general, or some other meaningful purpose?
- Will others benefit from my involvement?
- Do I have the gifts and abilities to do the task that I'm being asked to do?
- Do I really have the time? If I take this on, what might have to be put on hold or eliminated?
- Am I willing to make the sacrifices necessary to do this well?