Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Finding Joy

In the movie The Bucket List, the two main characters played by Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson are sitting on top of a pyramid. Their discussion leads to two questions. The first is, "Have you found joy in your life?" The second is, "Have you brought joy to someone else?" The answers to these questions were believed by the ancient Egyptians to pave the way to heaven.

What brings you joy? For me, it's seeing my children find success in their pursuits. I'm so proud of all three of my children. I hope that Sarah, Jonathan and Rebekah will someday truly understand the depth of joy they have brought me. Oh, don't get me wrong - there have been more than a few challenges along the way. But none of those can even begin to diminish the joy they have brought me. And now we add our grandson Micah to the mix - even thinking about him as I write causes me to pause, reflect, and rejoice.

The second question is harder for me to answer. I don't write this expecting anyone to tell me that I have brought them joy. That's not the point. Am I the only one who looks back at his life and questions whether or not he has brought joy to others? Laughter, yes. Happiness, possibly. But joy? I think this is something I have to work at.

Have you found joy? Have you brought others joy? It's something to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment