Thursday, March 7, 2013

Struggling with Social Media

Ok, my younger pastor friends are all over me about my refusal to dive completely into social media.  They give me grief for not having a Facebook page or a Twitter account.  Oh, they also hassle me for still carrying a flip phone that doesn't have internet on it.  They tell me that to reach 20-somethings I have to become more involved in these other things.

Here's my problem.  I simply don't want to add another thing to my life and schedule.  It's really that simple.  And I'm just OCD enough that if I do take on one of these forms of social media that I'm going to feel obligated to follow along and that takes time!  I'm simply not sure I want to dedicate significant time to social media matters.  But on the other hand, I can see how you can use these tools for ministry.

So I'm going to give it some thought.  Not sure what I'm going to do...

2 comments:

  1. And you live in Payne, OH which is not the most tech forward. Know thy context.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear what you are saying. However, even the 20-somethings (and older) are constantly on social media - even in this area. I'm am surprised at how many people in my congregation are "connected." I can see how Facebook or Twitter could allow me to get mass communication out quickly. It could allow me to post sermon content thoughts and shoot out challenging questions throughout the week. Is it worth the investment of time? Thinking...

    ReplyDelete