Monday, June 11, 2012

Weight on The Lord

Yeah, it's corny, but I issued a challenge to our congregation a week ago that we need to be better stewards of our bodies.  The Bible tells us to wait upon the Lord for strength.  Well, if we exercise and watch what we eat, our weight will go down, our health will improve, and we will have more energy for our families and for serving the Lord.  Part of the goal is for each participant to set a financial goal at the end of the next three months as a gift for a benevolence that we will be designating in the near future.  The money isn't for the church.  It will be given away to others. 

My goal is to lose 15 pounds by the end of August.  I've made my financial pledge.  If any of my readers would like to sponsor a financial pledge in support of my goal, that would be awesome!  Just let me know.  As I said, the money will go to assist a person or persons in need.  I have a couple of other people in the church who are also doing the challenge.  I hope a few more will step up!

One of the reasons I am doing this is to be more accountable for my weight loss.  My doctor says I need to take off more weight (and keep it off) in order to better combat my diabetes.  If I hit some of his weight goals, I may actually be able to get off my medication (Metformin) and keep my diabetes under control with diet and exercise.  When I was first diagnosed I weighed about 242.  A week ago I was at 224.  Today I was at 220.  I may be able to lose more than my goal of 15 pounds.  But that's the goal for the summer! 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, Dad! Si, se puede! A pretty awesome gal at our church started the most spectacular group called "Weight Loss Challenge." People join all the time. They meet weekly to learn about healthier cooking, do a weigh-in, measure inches, and do a very organized money pot. It's great!! So many people have lost ridiculous weight and gotten healthy... so much so that the customs officer checking passports at the last missions trip even said something. :)

    ReplyDelete