Monday, July 23, 2012

Longevity or "Old?"

I received a certificate on Saturday at our district conference.  It was for 30 years of service in The Wesleyan Church.  As I stood on the platform with pastors who had served 25, 30, 35 and more years, I thought, "All this means is that I'm getting old."  The good news is that I felt (and hope looked) younger than the other men on the platform.  I guess that's my perspective and I'm sticking with it. 

Our General Superintendent did make an interesting comment:  Nearly 50% of those who are called to and start out in ministry quite within the first five years.  Wow!  I'm not sure what to make of that exactly, but it's an interesting stat.  I guess after 30 years it says I'm too stubborn to quit! 

On a serious note, I tip my cap to all those who serve in pastoral ministry for whatever period of time, and particularly to those who have been at it longer than I have.  Thank you for your faithfulness!

1 comment: