Friday, September 13, 2013

The Tyranny of the Urgent

I am in a season of life that seems to have no slow down in it.  My summer was extremely busy, filled with a lot of good things.  We threw in a surgery for my wife, a month-long visit by my oldest daughter and my grandson (and my son-in-law was here for a week), our awesome Vacation Bible School at church, several trips to the hospitals and rehab centers to visit ailing congregational members (all trips were long ones - our nearest suburb where everyone goes is Fort Wayne), and, oh yeah, a vacation!  Then school started and my youngest daughter is in volleyball and we are out most evenings at games.  We even have an all day tournament tomorrow that is 2 hours away from home. 

I say that knowing that your life is probably as busy as mine, if not busier.  So here's the question:  What things are important and what things are urgent?  I know I allow a lot of urgent things dominate my time rather than keeping the important things at the forefront.  Then I complain that I don't have time for the really important things.  I have to work very hard at making this distinction and then prioritizing my schedule.  If I don't, the urgent becomes a tyrant.

A friend of mine once said, "The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing."  Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment