Monday, October 29, 2012

Leading Edge

I've been a student of leadership for many years.  As I look back over my life, I've been in leadership nearly all of it.  As a teenager, I was the senior patrol leader of my boy scout troop at the age of 14.  I served on the board of my home church at age 16.  Throughout my college years I was involved on several leadership ventures.  In my 31 years of ministry, I've led churches, boards, and committees, and served on denominational task forces and various district offices.  I've been blessed with a wide range of experience.

Now my confession:  I'm still learning about leadership.  I am constantly reading books on the subject, attend the occasional leadership conference, listen to leaders on cd, and glean from leaders I respect.  I'm constantly soaking up leadership principles to improve my interaction with people and to take my organization to the next level.  I am hungry to learn more. 

I also desire to share what I am learning and practicing with others.  I've come to that stage in life where I know that I need to invest more in others in this particular area.  I'm currently developing a program for systematic leadership training in my local church.  I'm co-leading a small group of pastors in my district where our focus is on leadership development.  I'm being certified as a coach in the Wesleyan Coaching Network in order to be able to enter into formal coaching agreements with those who desire to be better leaders. 

Leadership is influence.  I've not always been the best leader, but I'm working at it.  I'm at the stage in life where I am determined to leave a legacy of developing others.

What are you doing to invest in others?  I'd like to learn from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment